The gaming industry has grown considerably in recent years. The Global Games Market Report 2020, of the Newzoo, estimated that 2020 would 2.7 billion players worldwide.
Of this number, a considerable portion is made up of enthusiastic fans of the indie games industry, who follow the new releases closely.
They are mostly in smartphone games, a platform that brought together 2.5 billion players in 2020. This shows great market potential for the indie game industry.
However, there are also good expectations for the indies in the console market, with its 800 million players, and in the PC market, with 1.3 billion.
However, what exactly are indies games? They are those made by start-up companies without any input from large organizations. Many are also produced by individual developers.
Learn more about how this market works and how to work on it!
How to get started in the game development market
To begin, you need training in game development. Currently, some courses teach the steps of producing a game and prepare students to work in the segment. Two of the main areas of a game taught in these courses are:
- Programming — you will learn about game engines, algorithms, scripts, Artificial Intelligence (AI), network fundamentals, and other programming topics applied to games;
- Design — you will learn about 2D and 3D modeling, gameplay, level design, pacing, interface, animation principles, among other topics.
Also, you will see content related to the elaboration of interactive narratives for the production of the stories of the games. Therefore, if you want to be a complete developer, it will be important to acquire knowledge in all of these fields.
However, if you improve on one of them, you may already have a foundation to start designing games with the help of other professionals and technology tools.
How to publish this game
Currently, we have many platforms and virtual stores specializing in games that allow you to publish indie options. For example, Steam, Epic Games Store, Discord, etc.
The popular virtual app stores, such as Google Play Store and Apple Store, make it possible to publish games directed at smartphones.
Softwares for game developers
Many games are developed with programming and design, which reinforces the importance of learning concepts in these areas.
However, there exists softwares aimed at the development of games that facilitate this work, especially the game engines. They render 2D and 3D graphics, simulate physics within the game environment, provide support for animation, audio, and scripting language, among other functions.
Many have extensive libraries of elements that can be used in the game, which greatly simplifies developers’ lives. Some also allow you to export the game to an online store.
Now that you know about it, see some of the programs games engines most popular:
- Game Maker;
- Unreal Engine;
- Construct (focus on 2D for browsers);
- RPG Maker (for 2D production of RPGs).
Other programs can be used separately, such as those for 3D animation modeling (Maya, Blender). They are used to design 3D characters that can be used in games.
Careers within the game developer universe
Usually, an indie game developer accumulates several functions during the production of a game. However, in small companies or associations with other developers, he may follow certain careers. See which:
- Screenwriter — develops the game’s narrative;
- Designer — develops the traces and sketches of the elements of the game, which includes the style of the characters, the scenarios, and other items;
- 3D game modeler — uses modeling software to develop the 3D structures of the drawings, which involves characters, scenery elements, landscapes, etc.
- Programmer — works with programming to make the game work as desired. This includes programming action mechanics, logical instructions, movements that need to be done at each player’s command, etc.
It is worth noting that indie game developers earn income not only by working for the small companies that develop them but also through monetization strategies employed in their games.
Indeed, the growth of the indie games markets for years tends to open up many opportunities for indie developers in the future. According to the same research by Newzoo mentioned in the introduction, the expectation is that we will have 3 billion players in 2023, with an industry that will generate more than the US $ 200 billion this year.
Check out some of the main solutions for monetizing indie games now!
Contribuíram para este material: